Monday, November 21, 2005

 

Recording Drums or Drum Tracks


Comments:
Drums are not easy to record. My method is 2 condenser mics in xy pattern as overheads. SM57 (or equivalent) for snare & hi-hat. Then for kick drum I use Shure D112.

I sometimes compress the snare & hi-hat or use my compressor in slave mode & compress both xy'd condenser mics equally.

It helps to have a big room. I don't so I have sound absorber baffles that I use to surround the drum kit. Experimentation is key.
 
Whatever you do, don't put a mic IN the bass drum. Bad idea! (There is my 2 cents).

Oh yes, and if you don't have a big room (like bonfire) or sound absorber baffles, the cheap way to do it is hang quilts or blankets in front of the walls, leaving about a 1.5-2 inch space (btwn wall and quilt). Yay for doing it on the cheap!

Jack
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?